Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Being dragged into this century


The year is 2012. You would think by now I would have learned something about Iphones, etc. Not so. Brenna tried to teach me but I was an unwilling student. I saw no reason to ever need to use an Iphone.

Things have changed. My precious girl is not here with Mom to keep me on track. My manager told me I needed to be up-to-date for the upcoming trip. I needed a phone that could communicate from any place I might be. For my personal safety, I knew he was right, but I was still reluctant. I just KNEW I couldn't learn.

I took Brenna's Iphone to the nearby AT&T store today. They recharged her battery and sold me a new screen protector and charger to go with it. The battery wouldn't stay charged. They suggested that I go to a cell phone repair shop. My good friend and manager told me to try Radio Shack.

RS told me that the AT&T store in the mall was the only place that could take the back off the phone. I haven't walked the mall in ages, not since Brenna became sick. My manager gave me good directions and I found the store where a very nice young man took me in hand. The battery couldn't be exchanged. They are soldered in. When the battery doesn't work, you buy a new phone.

All the young men in the store insisted that I really would want to download music, after all, EVERYONE listens to music. They don't know me! I listen to the same CD in the car all the time. I found something I like and see no reason to change it. I have no clue who most of the singers of today are and find it inconvenient to search for something that I MIGHT like when I already have one CD that I KNOW I like. They just knew I would need all those apps, too. I doubt that.

Almost three hours later, I came out of the store, not with Brenna's old phone, but with a brand spankin' new phone. This very nice young man, not only sat and showed me all the basics, he programmed his own phone number into the contact list in case I had problems. His girlfriend's 2 year old can work an Iphone. THAT shamed me. If a 2 year old can master an Iphone, I guess I could, too. He refused to loan out the little girl.

Have no fear. As I cross the country, I will have a new phone that can reach out and touch somebody if I ever need help.

Thanks to my manager and his team for bringing me gently into this century. They have faith that I can learn. I promise not to disappoint them.

No comments: