Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Media Class

Yesterday I spent an awesome time in class. Brenna would be proud to know that her mom took a class to learn how to deal with media. She always kept telling me that YES, I could learn something new. Nine of us took the class. I learned not only more for my own journey, but about the careers of the others in the room. What an eye opener! It was good to be in the room with that very nice group of people. Thanks, Steve!

We did a practice press conference where Steve gave us a scenario to digest and decide which questions to ask. Two of us were taken from the room and prepared to be the presenters. The rest of us, prepared our questions. When we all came back together, I told Steve the rest of the people were going to be the "legit" reporters and I was going to be the Yahoo Inquirer reporter who was going to be irritating and try to interrupt the train of thought. That was fun!

After the morning session, we went to the studio to practice interviews. I had done this before but that was almost 20 years ago. This time was preparation for working with the big guns in the media. That is a whole different ballgame.

Steve treated us as if we were being grilled by the big interviewers, no holds barred. I know I need that kind of thing because Brenna's story is controversial.

Afterwards, my friend and media advisor, Steve, arranged for a photographer to take professional photos of me to use for the upcoming tour. I was amazed when I looked at them on the camera screen. Grant, the photographer, made me look so young.

Adam took more notes so he could prepare the press releases and other materials I will need for the trip.

It felt good to know I was in the capable hands of experienced people who work one on one with me and not working out of a call center. The gentlemen were prepared, dressed professionally, and treated me with respect.

I like my new friends. They are awesome. Thanks, Steve, Grant, and Adam.

No comments: