Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Condemned to Die: Closer to release

The cover design is back for review. When I saw the SKU, it hit me. Not long to go but it is more real today than it was yesterday. I was in awe the other day when I got the publisher copy for my final review and revision and saw the page that said "copyright", then I saw that it has been assigned a number for the Library of Congress. Brenna's story is official.

I am proud that a picture Brenna took herself will be the background picture for her Miracle Tree. It looks good. This is what I have written for the back of the cover.
Condemned to Die is Brenna’s valiant journey to recover from her sudden, medically unexplained anoxic brain injury. After sixteen months, she joined hands with Jesus and was restored to health in his kingdom. She passed along the baton to her mother, to give voice to the deficiencies in our healthcare system for all patients who suffer hypoxic or anoxic brain injuries. In her honor, this is her story. To God be the glory.
Condemned to Die: Ask me how. Tell me why.
is the story of my daughter Brenna’s valiant fight to recover from her anoxic brain injury.
I am her proud mother. I spent over six thousand hours in sixteen months by her side. I am a widow and Brenna was my only child, the
child of my heart. She was not a burden. Taking care of her was never a sacrifice, and I am no hero. Along her journey,
we experienced the underbelly of today’s healthcare system, but along the way, God gave us strength for each day.
Before Brenna’s illness, she always reminded me that God had a plan for her life. I thought the voice people heard would be hers. She passed away on October 1, 2011 of a sudden cardiac arrest at twenty-eight. She passed the baton to me. Her voice, her story, resulted in this book. She would expect nothing less from her mother.
Along with writing her story and my reflections of the journey, in Brenna’s honor, I will go to Washington to advocate for changes in the healthcare system for patients who suffer a hypoxic or anoxic brain injury. Her last sixteen months must count for something. Her life cannot be in vain.
Proceeds from this book will go toward establishing Brenna’s Hope Foundation, with the focus on research
in rehabilitation of patients with a hypoxic or anoxic brain injury.

As soon as I get the revisions reviewed and back to the publisher, it will be ready for print and assigned a release date.

No comments: