Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Monday, April 30, 2012

To Chaplain Ruth with grateful thanks

Today I spent the afternoon at the hospital where Brenna spent her last days. A friend we met at Life Care nursing home, Joyce Burnett, was having her bladder removed. I was able to spend time with her sister and brother-in-law. They are very concerned about Joyce and I could feel their love for her shining through. They are truly God's people. They remembered hearing about Brenna.
Then I stopped by to see Chaplain Ruth. I met Chaplain Ruth in the ER last September on that fateful night when Brenna was admitted to the hospital with her sudden cardiac arrest. She stood by me and let me cry or vent, whatever I needed to do.
Ruth and her colleague Chaplain Tom were my strength through those nightmarish days and nights, when they allowed me to come to terms in my own way with the impending loss of the best person in my life.
Ruth reminded me of a conversation we had shortly after Brenna was admitted last year. I don't remember all the conversation. What I did remember was almost biting her head off and saying, "Don't start with the hospice jargon with me. I have heard enough of that."
In spite of that, Ruth stayed by me.
Thank you, Ruth, for all the time. Thank you for your encouragement. Thank you for being the special you that you are.
You are truly one of God's people.
God bless and keep.

No comments: