Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Condemned to Die: Ask me how. Tell me why.  will be out of editorial review by next Friday. At last the picture of Brenna's Miracle Tree is acceptable for the cover. Mom actually got it to standards that EXCEED specifications, which is good. It just takes a long time to teach an old dog new tricks! :)

I sent in a mockup of my idea for the cover last week. Now the designer has an idea of what I want, only he or she will have a more professional outcome.

For those who know me, you may wonder about the name of the author. I have chosen to use my maiden name with my married name. Many reasons for that. Blaxton-Dowd I like the sound of that.

First: There already IS an author by the name of Pamela Dowd. I didn't want to confuse us.

Second: There is a lawyer by the name of Pamela Dowd. I didn't want her privacy invaded.

Third but most important: My parents would be proud of the book and I want to honor their name.

All during the medical crisis with Brenna, I longed for my father. After he retired from the ministry, he became an activist. Had dad been alive, even at his age (he would have been 90), he would have moved heaven and earth for justice for Brenna.

Through the years, I had called my mother, depending on her listening heart, for strength and support. She gave me emotional support during breast cancer at the age of 27. She did not understand but she gave her support through all the trials of a failed breast reconstruction. I miss those Saturday morning calls with mom.

Fourth: Brenna wanted me to use my maiden name. We talked about last names before she became ill.

I have had days of discouragement, grief, and sorrow. I have had days when I wondered if the book will make a difference. Then I hear the sweet little voice of my only child say, "Mom, it is alright to stand alone when standing alone is the right thing to do."

No comments: