Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Friday, April 20, 2012

WHAT ABOUT BRENNA'S RIGHT TO LIFE?


When I hear all the rhetoric over "right to life", my heart screams, WHAT ABOUT BRENNA'S RIGHT TO LIFE? What about the thousands each day who suffer some kind of brain injury and are ignored???

How can they say she wasn't worth the recovery? I see her videos and read her progress sheets and my heart aches even more. Why should a brain injury patient only receive the same amount of recovery days as someone getting artificial knees? There is no logic.

Had Brenna received the type of care in the beginning that she received at a different hospital in the end, I think she would have had a much better outcome. The first hospital was only intent on organ donation and not her survival and recovery. The first hospital should have sent her 4 miles down the interstate to the other regional hospital in town where they had the right kind of equipment and attitude. They didn't tell me anything else existed. They didn't tell me that the second hospital had a brain injury unit. In fact, they told me there WAS nothing else for her.

Millions of dollars have been spent on medical research through the years. Where would we be if there had been no Madame Curie or Jonas Salk?


Only in recovery of a brain injury is society so unwilling to take responsibility to help those patients recover.

No comments: