Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Internal Revenue Service Enforcement-Not in PPACA

I did a search of the PPACA and could not find a reference to the Internal Revenue Service as an arm of enforcement. Maybe I just haven't stumbled on that yet but a search for Internal Revenue Service does not pop up with anything.

What I have found are multiple references made to the Internal Revenue Code as it applies to setting criteria to specific programs.

This doesn't mean the IRS is going to come after everyone with a big stick. What this does, from what I can see, is makes sure the Plan is compatible with language already written into Medicare, Medicaid, and health insurance laws.

The government uses 380,446 words to define this Plan. I think we can all be forgiven for not understanding it. However, that does not preclude anyone who is capable of using the Internet from becoming informed in the first person sense.

While we have all complained about members of Congress not reading this bill in its entirety before a vote, I think we can safely assume that those who voted against the bill did not read it either. Contrary to what we all believe is happening in DC, none of the elected officials have time to read every bill. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Because running for Congress is an expensive project, once elected, they spend the majority of their time hunting for money to get re-elected. This deeply cuts into any time they have for even a cursory look at something so critical as the PPACA.

I urge everyone with a computer to download or copy/paste this bill into your system and, rather than go by what someone else says, including me, search if for yourself.

When I think of this Plan, I am reminded of my father who used to say, "I don't care what THEY say. What THEY say doesn't count. Find the truth."

The truth of this Plan doesn't lie only on either side. There are many good sections in this bill that would help a disabled young person like Brenna, possibly helping them live with hope and dignity. As a nation, we need to keep the good sections that protect the health care rights of the vulnerable. For those things that are unacceptable to us as a society, we should remove them, revamp them, or toss those sections out. But not the entire Plan.

That is my soap box for the day. Blessings to all who had the patience to read this far.

No comments: