Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

3 Years-Missing my little girl today

Three years ago today, I found my daughter Brenna unresponsive, 24 hours after a simple eye repair surgery. This thrust us into the middle of a world of unfamiliar medical terminology, the "let her die" attitude of professionals, and being given no hope of recovery.

Brenna fought 16 months to recover, walking up to 1000 feet in the LiteGait, and learning to speak a few words. Sadly, due to a culmination of many medical "mistakes", she suffered a sudden cardiac arrest 16 months later, and I was allowed to bring her home to die.

In Brenna's honor, I will be speaking Tuesday morning at Idaho's first TBI Summit, featuring Senator Mike Crapo and a panel of professionals, and people who have been touched by brain injuries. The time is 9:30-11 AM at ISU's Stephens Performing Arts Center in Pocatello, ID.

I will be speaking as a parent whose daughter first suffered a concussion (TBI), followed 13 months later by her 4th surgery to correct her vision and her anoxic brain injury. I will speak of what happens in the system when a person has no health care due to a pre-existing condition and suffers a brain injury. For this, I will be given 3 minutes.

I miss her more and more each day. In her honor, I can do no more than to bring to the world, her story, what happened to her at the hands of professionals without a heart.

Pam
Brenna's Proud Mother

No comments: