Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Clearview Hospital-Head Injury Rehabilitation Center

On Monday, October 15th, I stopped at this great little hospital in Juneau, WI.

Now, one might ask HOW I found this hospital in a town of less than 3000 people, a hospital that is on the cutting edge of brain injury rehabilitation in Wisconsin.

It began like this.

Sunday morning I was leaving the KOA north of Madison. I decided to ignore the voice of the Garmin and strike out across country on state and local roads. As I entered a little town called Columbus, WI, the first thing I noticed was a big church. It was 11:30 and I thought about slipping in to the last few minutes of church. But I didn't. There was no place to park this big motorhome. The parking lot was filled and both sides of the road had cars parked bumper to bumper.

I wandered on through town and the pouring rain. I passed a small, home town restaurant, The Apple Tree Family Restaurant. It too looked packed but at least I could park on the street.

When I went in, the only place left to sit was at the counter. Usually, I like to sit at a table. But God had other plans. Just as God sent me to Columbus, he sent me to the counter.

A local woman came and sat down by me. Soon she looked at me and said, "I thought I knew everyone in town. I don't recall seeing you."

There began a conversation on brain injury. Marsha was a retired nurse. She told me about the hospital in Juneau and insisted that I just HAD to go. She said she had almost not come into the restaurant because of the rain. A voice told her she had to come in. Just as God sent me to Columbus, he sent Marsha to sit at my side.

Marsha was right. I spent the night in Watertown visiting with friends, then journyed to Juneau on Monday.

The hospital is one of three sub-acute brain injury certified centers in the state of Wisconsin. I spoke with the director Jackie and her assistant Dawn. I knew that we not only needed places like Madonna Rehabilitation in Lincoln, we desperately need centers like this, especially for our more rural areas.

God didn't send me on a detour on Sunday. God doesn't do detours. He sent me where I needed to be in the fulfillment of his plan for Brenna's life. My job was to be still, listen to his calling, and be open to what he wanted me to do.

Jackie and Dawn were excited about the sign on the motorhome. Had they had a sign for their hospital, I would gladly have put it on the side. They want people in Wisconsin to know these sub-acute brain rehab hospitals exist. I was blessed by their willingness to talk and share with me.

Sunday was God's day to get me to a place I needed to be. Monday was the fulfillment of his direction.

No comments: