Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up
Brenna wearing Mama's hat.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Mom on a Mission is HOME

Three months ago today, I set out on my journey across the United States, covering 21 states, five brain injury facilities, and meeting families who daily walk the journey to recovery from hypoxic-anoxic brain injury.

I spent time with Senator Crapo in Washington, DC, discussing with him issues that need to be addressed for patients with a brain injury.

I spent an enjoyable time with Mr. Larry Larocco, a DC lobbyist, talking with him about the possibilities of the future for Brenna's Hope Foundation.

I have been blessed by the families I met on this journey. I fell in love with the patients who are working so  hard to recover with the help of their loving families.

I spent time with friends of long ago who were surprised to see me show up in their neighborhood. It was so good to renew those friendships.

I was able to visit with cousins I hadn't seen for many years. I love you all.

Thank you all for the invitation into your homes and your lives. I am grateful for all your prayers along the way and your concerns when Waldo's Mom  (me) seemed to disappear.

Abby (the motorhome) hummed along for 8106 miles without any major problems. One of these days I'll get my thoughts together for a new book about the trip, including the story of when Abby locked me IN the motorhome. Abby has had a bath, after the snow and muck of Ely, NV, and is now in storage just down the road. She has earned a rest.

Tippy is excited about being back at home in her territory, eating freeze dried potatoes in the garden. Gibbs can't seem to stop racing around the yard, up and over the porch, and through the house.

I am glad to be back home, ready to do the work to make Brenna's Hope Foundation a reality. I worked on papers last night and after Christmas, I can pick up the papers at the Sec of State to complete the first stage of the process.

From the CDC, we know there are 1.7 million new TBIs every year. What we do not know is how many new hypoxic-anoxic brain injuries occur each year. While the ICD-10 code is more specific about TBIs, the code for hypoxic-anoxic is less definitive. I don't buy the argument that it can't be done. Yes it can. We as family members can make it happen.

In Brenna's honor, change must come. Please join me on this reach to change.

No comments: